Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Thyrogen, my butt and me

I have been debating for days about writing this post but decided if I am to be a good blogger I cannot be afraid to share. I hesitated because there are sooooo many courageous women on these blogs fighting cancer for their lives and for me to tell this story seems trivial in the face of what they are all dealing with....but I feel I need to share this so here goes....

In 1993 I was diagnosed with Thyroid cancer that not only involved my thyroid but also several lymph nodes. I had a total thyroidectomy, see the scar in the box above, then I was admitted to the hospital for about a month and given a gigantic dose of radiation. Apparently it was not enough becasue it came back in 1996.I went through the whole radiation thing again and still hope each day I never have to deal with it again.

Part of staying well includes taking a daily dose of Levoxyl since I have no thyroid and each year having a full body scan. In years past I used to have to go off my med and basically become a sloth prior to the scan but modern medicine prevails and now they give you an injection...well, two injections, one each day, one on each cheek...butt cheek that is....so my ass is achin' as this is day two. Tomorrow I have to be at the hospital at 8:00 to swallow a little radioactive pill and then I have Thursday off...I'm sure I will enjoy Thursday with my sore butt and glowing insides....anyway, Friday is the big day, scan at 8:00.

I am so thankful that this is all that I have to deal with...when I sit in the cancer center waiting to see the Dr. I feel so guilty, I'm not sick... and so many warriors are sitting around me, fighting so hard. I hate that the Dr. takes even a moment with me, he needs to help them. Maybe I am just there to pray for them and call the angels for those who can't ...I don't know I just wish they were all better .

6 comments:

Mockingbird Hill said...

I think that talking about stuff is usually a very good medicine. I am glad that you are following up and doing what you need to do...prevntatively...for your self and your family.

You are much stronger than you know.. ;)

Sissie

Mary said...

I will be thinking of you. Good luck. Atleast this way I get to keep track of what is going on with you since we don't get to talk much anymore. I look forward to reading you are free and clear. Take care!!!! Mare

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

I pray all goes well. Never guilt! You too are a survivor!! I will be thinking of you.
Those radioactive pills. I had the liquid form one time and in between waiting for it to take effect so they could "look" at it, I went to the mall next door. I set off all the shop lifter alarms (the ones that are activated by those horrible and bulky things on clothes that inevitabley get left on by a chasier that isnt paying attenion...)
I am so glad you are well!!!

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

a shout out to you in this post:http://lbratina.blogspot.com/2008/03/creative-ideas-for-free.html

Kari (GrannySkywalker) said...

Wow - this is scary stuff! I hope and pray your scan comes back clean as a whistle. And you shouldn't feel guilty at all...YOU are a warrior, too. Getting up and facing the tests and the requirements of those tests takes courage and resolve. Good luck!!!

:)
Kari

Anonymous said...

Hi,

When ever I surf on web I come to this website[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url]You have really contiributed very good info here maebellepark.blogspot.com. Do you pay attention towards your health?. Let me present you with one fact here. Recent Scientific Research indicates that nearly 90% of all U.S. grownups are either fat or overweight[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url] So if you're one of these citizens, you're not alone. In fact, most of us need to lose a few pounds once in a while to get sexy and perfect six pack abs. Now next question is how you can achive quick weight loss? Quick weight loss can be achived with little effort. If you improve some of your daily diet habbits then, its like piece of cake to quickly lose weight.

About me: I am writer of [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss tips[/url]. I am also health trainer who can help you lose weight quickly. If you do not want to go under difficult training program than you may also try [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/acai-berry-for-quick-weight-loss]Acai Berry[/url] or [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/colon-cleanse-for-weight-loss]Colon Cleansing[/url] for quick weight loss.