Thursday, June 26, 2008

Genealogy...Not just for bored old people....

I started searching for my ancestors for no apparent reason, not like I had time...just had to add another thing to do....anyway, I started in 2001 and have done it on again/ off again. I have to stop sometimes because frankly I get so confused I forget who I'm looking for, days turn into weeks, I'm telling you it is mind numbing...Overall it has been rewarding, interesting and addicting. I highly recommend it, it is easier than you think. Rootswebis an awesome place to start. I have several of our family lines all the way back to the 1500's. Through the search I met a great genealogist who turned out to be my twice removed cousin, she is the one who told me about the reunion ( see earlier post today) and was the reason I was able to reconnect with my Great Aunt Pearl, which has been an experience I will always treasure. Since my father passed in 1984, Great Aunt Pearl is one of my few remaining direct descendents.While at the reunion Aunt Pearl asked if I wanted all of the family pics and history that she has been saving all these years. Of course I said it would be my honor to step into her shoes as the caretaker of our family history.As I said before, it has been a rewarding journey and I feel so blessed to have taken it. I never knew anything about my Dad's ancestry beyond his immediate family Please enjoy these photos of my family, who I did not know but of whom I am quite proud.



2 comments:

pie-in-the-sky-studio said...

Loved the pictures and all that southern food look delicious...good picture of you, Aunt Pearl and Cass. xo MM

Kari (GrannySkywalker) said...

I started researching our family's history back in the '90s. That was before personal computers, of course. I had this case full of papers and I would schlep it all down to the library in Biloxi, MS and camp out in their geneology section for hours at a time. Then life got busy and I put it off for awhile, then for a longer while, etc., etc. At one point, I tried contacting all my cousins to see if they would help me compile a book of memories about our grandparents - something that we could all pass on to our children, but, sadly, almost everyone was too busy.
I used the web a little back in 1999/2000 but I bet it is a much better tool nowadays. I'm fascinated by the subject of family history. Still can't believe my cousins weren't. lol

I love seeing your family's pictures. The clothes alone are worth viewing, aren't they? Great collection. How wonderful for you that you have been intrusted with it.

Kari